What causes Airbag Light on or Service Airbag Message
GM campaign to fix Airbag Light on or Service Airbag Message
GM has issued a service campaign bulletin #10085D for the vehicles listed below. The bulletin address a problem with the electrical connectors for the airbag system that causes an Airbag Light on or Service Airbag Message to appear. GM will replace the worn/defective connector parts for free as long as your vehicle VIN number is covered by the bulletin (see below for compatibility)
Airbag light on symptoms
The airbag connectors on some 2008 Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles, and 2010 Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 vehicles may wear, leading to corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag. The wear and corrosion changes the resistance value and that results in an Airbag light on or a service air bag message on the Driver Information Center (DIC).
When that happens, the seat side impact air bag is fully functional. However, if you ignore the warning light, over time the resistance can increase to a level where the seat side impact air bag may not deploy in a side impact crash.
Fix airbag light on
Dealers will replace the front seat-mounted side impact airbag terminals and connector body. If your dealer will not cover the repair, contact the GM customer service center.
2008 Buick Enclave VIN 8J162224—8J266444
2010 Chevrolet Malibu VIN A4100001—A4166698
2010 Chevrolet Malibu VIN AF100056—AF271265
2008 GMC Acadia VIN 8J162223—8J266443
2010 Pontiac G6 VIN A4100002—A4166963
2008 Saturn OUTLOOK VIN 8J162227—8J66442
2010 CHEVROLET MALIBU AND 2010 PONTIAC G6
Airbag Repair Procedure
1. Disable the airbag system.
2. Replace connectors on both driver and passenger seats. Then reroute and attach the harnesses to the seat using the service kit.
2. Disconnect connector C308 from driver’s seat cross-beam.
3. Remove the driver’s seat.
4. Cut both wires from the body harness connector and seat airbag harness connector as close to the connector housing as possible to minimize wire length loss.
5. Slide the conduit away and remove the tape.
6. Slide the wire seals onto all four leads, back enough to enable removal of the insulation. Install the blue seals on the body harness and the white seals on the seat airbag harness. Strip the insulation off all four leads 5 mm (3/16 in). Align the seals with the wire insulation.
7. On the body harness, position two FEMALE terminals onto the wires. Crimp the terminals onto the bare wire. Repeat the procedure using two MALE terminals on the seat airbag harness.
8. Position the wire seal to the terminal and crimp the seal and insulation.
9. Solder all four terminals at the wire crimp. WARNING: DO NOT use soldering equipment that is battery or electric powered. These types of soldering irons can induce voltage into the circuit, which may cause inflator module deployment and/or damage to electrical components. Use a butane fueled soldering iron when working on SIR circuits.
10. Slide the two seat airbag harness terminals through the opening of the orange connector position assurance.
11. Slide all four terminals (2) into the appropriate connector body as shown in the illustration. Install the blue terminal position assurance (TPA) devices onto the connector ends.
12. Install the gray connector clip onto the appropriate connector body.
13. Add NyoGel 760 lubricant (dielectric lubricant) to the terminals on both sides of the connections.
14. Wrap Woven Polyester Electrical Tape (PET) (preferred) or equivalent anti-abrasion tape or electrical tape around the two exposed wires on the seat harness for a length of 30 mm (1.2 in) from the back of the connector. Continue to wrap the tape around the back of the connector.
15. Slide the conduit back up. Wrap tape starting at the back of the connector and over the conduit for a length of 130 mm (5 in).
16. Tape on the gray clip at 110 mm (4.33 in) from the back of the connector. Note that the clip orientation should be in line with the retainer clip orientation on the connector.
17. Repeat the above procedure on the passenger seat.
Here’s the Letter GM sent to Owners regarding the Airbag light on and campaign/recall
Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a customer satisfaction program that affects your 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles, or your 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu or Pontiac G6 vehicle.
Your 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles, or your 2010 model year Chevrolet Malibu or Pontiac G6 vehicle not only meets, but exceeds government standards for side impact protection. GM recently introduced into production, changes that add to that protection. At no charge, your dealer will make similar changes to your vehicle, which was built before the production change.
What We Will Do: To enhance the side impact protection, your GM dealer will update the wiring harness for both front seat side impact airbags. This service will be performed for you at no charge.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. By scheduling an appointment, your dealer can ensure that the necessary parts will be available on your scheduled appointment date.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer
Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.
Customer and Relationship Services
Buick 1-866-608-8080 1-800-832-8425
Chevrolet 1-800-630-2438 1-800-833-2438
GMC 1-866-996-9463 1-800-462-8583
Pontiac 1-800-620-7668 1-800-833-7668
Posted on by Rick Muscoplat
- 2010 chevrolet malibu
- 2010 chevrolet malibu vin
- acadia or saturn outlook vehicles
- airbag light
- airbag light on or service
- buick enclave gmc
- buick enclave gmc acadia
- chevrolet malibu or pontiac g6
- enclave gmc acadia
- enclave gmc acadia or saturn
- gmc acadia or saturn outlook
- light on or service airbag
- malibu or pontiac g6 vehicle
- saturn outlook vehicles
- seat airbag harness
- seat side impact air
- seat side impact air bag
- service airbag message
- side impact
- side impact air bag