Nissan Altima Cranks but won’t start
If you have a Nissan Altima No Start, or a Nissan Altima Cranks But No Start issue and your vehicle is listed in the covered vehicles below, this service bulletin may apply to you. Nissan has issued a technical service bulletin # EL10-030 Reference NTB10-139 to address a Nissan Altima No Start, or a Nissan Altima Cranks in these vehicles:
2007 – 2010 Altima Sedan (L32) with CVT only
2008 – 2010 Altima Coupe (CL32) with CVT only
2007 – 2010 Altima Hybrid (L32HV)
Nissan describes the issues as a Nissan Altima No Start, or a Nissan Altima Cranks with these conditions:
The engine will not crank (or go to READY MODE – Hybrid) when pressing the push-button ignition switch and applying the brake pedal. Further, Nissan adds that the accessory and IGN on modes can be turned on and off during this condition.
The fix is to install a new brake lamp switch and sub-harness with those listed in PARTS INFORMATION. The faulty brake switch is preventing start up.
NOTE: The faulty and redesigned stop lamp switches are not interchangeable. The stop lamp switch listed above must be used with the new wiring harness.
WIRING HARNESS – STOP LAMP 24167-ZX00J
SWITCH ASSY – STOP LAMP (1) 25320-JN00A
1) Disconnect the negative battery cable (12v auxiliary battery – Hybrid).
2) Remove the driver side instrument dash end panel
3) Remove the fuse block cover.
4) Remove the screw behind the fuse block cover
5) Detach the driver side instrument lower cover and lower the cover
6) Disconnect the in-vehicle sensor tube and connector (if so equipped)
7) Position the instrument lower cover outside the door opening
8) Remove the driver side console trim panel
9) Remove the connector duct
10) Position the new wiring harness relay pack under the heater and cooling assembly
11) Route the wiring harness over the top of the steering member stay
12) Disconnect the stop lamp switch connector, and then replace the stop lamp switch with the redesigned part
13) Connect the wiring harness to the new switch
14) Secure the wiring harness with zip ties, while making sure it does not come in contact with the steering column lower shaft.
15) Remove the nut, install the ground eye loop on the stud, and then reinstall the nut
16) Reconnect the negative battery cable.
17) Verify the engine starts normally.
18) Reinstall removed parts.
NOTE: For Hybrid vehicles only: The VDC light will be ON after the 12v auxiliary battery is disconnected. To turn off the light, drive the vehicle straight for five (5) seconds at or above 22 MPH.
©, 2015 Rick Muscoplat
Posted on by Rick Muscoplat
- 12v auxiliary battery
- 2007 2010 altima
- 2010 altima
- altima cranks
- altima no start
- driver side
- driver side instrument
- fuse block cover
- lamp switch
- negative battery cable
- new wiring harness
- nissan altima
- nissan altima cranks
- nissan altima no start
- remove the driver side
- start or a nissan
- start or a nissan altima
- stop lamp
- stop lamp switch
- wiring harness