How long do windshield wipers last
Many DIYers ask how long windshield wipers last and there’s no set answer for everybody. Here’s what wears out windshield wipers:
• Dusty driving conditions that coat the windshield with road grit followed by wiper use. The grit wears down the sharp edge of the rubber squeegee portion of the blade.
• Long exposure to UV rays. If you park your vehicle outside in the sun, the rubber blade will degrade faster.
• A cracked windshield can cut the blade and cause streaks.
General rules on when to replace windshield wipers
• If you park outside in the sun, replace your wiper blades every 6-months
• If you drive on gravel roads or in dusty conditions, replace your wiper blades every 6-months.
• If you have a cracked windshield, have used your wiper blades on the cracked windshield and now see streaks, replace your wiper blades ASAP.
• If you park in a garage and don’t drive on gravel roads or in dusty conditions, replace wiper blades once a year or whenever you notice streaking when using the wipers.
The best time to replace wiper blades
In Spring before the rainy season starts. If you’ve used your wipers over the winter and notice streaking, replace them before spring rains begin.
In the Fall before winter. If you live in a snowy area, you’ll want new blades to increase visibility on dark winter nights.
©, 2021 Rick MuscoplatPosted on by Rick Muscoplat