How to do a Passlock III reset
This is one in a series of articles. READ THIS FIRST
GM made several different types of anti-theft systems. VATS, PassKey, and PassLock. The troubleshoot and reset procedures are different for each. PassLock seems to have the highest failure rate. So if you have a key WITHOUT a chip in it, chances are it’s a PassLock system. This article describes how to troublshoot and fix a PassLock system. But here are some more articles to help
Passlock III reset procedure, reset security system on chevy, buick, oldsmobile, cadillac, pontiac, saturn, hummer.
Passkey III Reset procedure.
Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. If you’re adding a new key to the system, you MUST have all the older keys with you. All previously learned keys will be erased from the system as soon as you program the first key. After the first key has been relearned, immediately insert the next key to be programmed within 10 seconds.
1. Insert the master key with the black head into the ignition lock cylinder
2. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.
3. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.
4. Turn the key to OFF for 5 seconds.
5. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.
6. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.
7. Turn the key to OFF for 5 seconds.
8. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The SECURITY light will turn on and stay on.
9. Wait 10 minutes or until the SECURITY light to turn off.
10. Turn the key to OFF. The key transponder will be learned on the next start cycle.
11. Start the vehicle. If it starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If you need to program additional keys,
12. Turn the key to OFF.
13. Insert the next key. Turn it to ON within 10 seconds of removing the previously used key.
14. Wait for the SECURITY light to turn off. That may happen quickly. You may not even notice it.
15. Repeat steps 12 through 14 for all additional keys.
© 2012 Rick Muscoplat
Click HERE to read some cool DIAGNOSTIC TIPS
- 10 minutes
- click here
- click here to see
- do not start the engine
- here to see
- iii reset
- iii reset procedure
- insert the next key
- key to off for 5
- minutes or until the security
- not start the engine
- passlock iii reset
- passlock system
- reset procedure
- security light
- start the engine
- start the vehicle
- turn the key
- wait 10
- wait 10 minutes