This is one in a series of articles. READ THIS FIRST
GM made several different types of anti-theft systems. VATS, PassKey, and PassLock. The troubleshoot and reset procedures are different for each. PassLock seems to have the highest failure rate. So if you have a key WITHOUT a chip in it, chances are it’s a PassLock system. This article describes how to troublshoot and fix a PassLock system. But here are some more articles to help
Passkey II Reset procedure.
Passkey II reset procedure, reset security system on chevy, buick, oldsmobile, cadillac, pontiac, saturn, hummer
Make sure the battery if fully charged because this procedure may take up to 30 minutes and you cannot start the vehicle during this time. The BCM and PCM must be in working order and the Passkey system repaired
1. Turn the key to ON, but do NOT start the vehicle. Leave the key ON for 11 minutes. The security light should be on steady or flashing during the entire 11 minutes. Do NOT proceed to the next step until the security light either turns OFF or STOPS FLASHING.
2. Turn the key to OFF for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the key to ON for 11 minutes, just as in Step 1.
4. Turn the key to OFF for 30 seconds.
5. Turn the key to ON for 11 minutes. This will be the 3rd time you’re doing this.
6. Turn the key to OFF for 30 seconds (yes, this is the 3rd time you’re doing this too).
7. Turn the key to ON for 30 seconds.
8. Turn the key to OFF.
9. Start the engine.
© 2012 Rick Muscoplat
Click HERE to read some cool DIAGNOSTIC TIPS