Rick's Free Auto Repair Advice

Prestone All Vehicles Coolant — Why You Shouldn’t Use It

Why You Shouldn’t Use Prestone All Vehicles Coolant

Prestone All Vehicles Coolant claims that it’s a “universal” that’s compatible with all vehicles. Unfortunately, not a single carmaker approves of using this coolant in their engines.

prestone all makes all models

In fact, each carmaker specifies a specific coolant for an engine family and model years. If there’s no single coolant for every engine of every brand, then how can Prestone claim a single coolant that works in all makes and models?

Coolant is ethylene glycol and an additive package

Approximately 95% of pre-mixed coolant is a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol. The remaining 5% is a combination of anit-corrosion and anti-electrolysis agents, water pump lubricants and anti-foaming agents.

Each carmaker knows which metals are in their engines and cooling systems as well as the types of plastics and rubber seals. So they know which additives are compatible.

If a single All Vehicles Coolant actually works, why does Prestone make all these additional coolants?

prestone all makes all models

Which antifreeze should you use?

Carmakers aren’t stupid. They put a lot of engineering into determining exactly which coolant and anti-corrosive additive packaged works best to cool the engine and prevent corrosion. In addition, coolant is cheap compared to possible corrosion, seal or gasket damage. In other words, it makes no sense to use a “universal” product that no manufacturer approves of, when you can buy the correct coolant for about the same price.

Prestone is a good brand

I’m not trying to disparage the Prestone coolant brand. My point is only that I think it makes no sense to use a Prestone All Vehicles Coolant when you can use the exact Prestone brand coolant recommended by the carmaker.

©, 2022 Rick Muscoplat

Posted on by Rick Muscoplat

Custom Wordpress Website created by Wizzy Wig Web Design, Minneapolis MN
Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice